Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Frostwood Arrival and Dismissal Times
Arrival- no earlier than 7:40
If your student is involved in a before school activity such as Green Tigers, Chess Club, TAPS, Patrols or has an appointment with a teacher for tutorials the student may be arriving as early as 7:00am. This early arrival location happens only at the front door on Memorial.
Car Rider – at the front door facing Memorial. Cars must drive, waiting in a queue until you pull up to the marked drop off area.
Gessner- Daycare buses and 1 daycare car, bike riders, walkers, and parent walk up. There are 6 cars that are the Auction purchased “First In Line” families. This location also accommodates our special needs student arrival. Parent walk up from the neighborhood or parent’s car parked in an appropriate parking place.
Plantation- bike riders, walkers and parent walk up from the neighborhood or parent’s car parked in an appropriate parking place.
Dismissal- begins no earlier than 3:00
2. Car Rider – at the front door facing Memorial. Cars must drive, waiting in a queue until you pull up to one of the marked pickup zones.
3. Gessner – Daycare buses and 1 daycare car; bike riders, walkers, and parent walk up. There are 6 cars that are the “First In Line” cars. (These are purchased privileges through the annual auction.) The last category is Special Needs students parent pickup.
4. Plantation- bike riders, walkers and parent walk up from the neighborhood or parent’s car is parked in an appropriate parking place.
(Hint to those student walkers and bike riders living northwest of Gessner: Students walking or riding without parents should cross Gessner at Beauregard with Mrs. Evelyn, continuing up Beauregard to Plantation, turning towards the school. They will park bikes in the Plantation Racks and enter the Building at the Plantation Door closes to Memorial. There is a staff member stationed to begin opening the door at 7:40 until 8:00. In the afternoon they will go to this same Plantation Door for dismissal monitored by staff.
Monday, September 15, 2014
We have had a great start to the new school year! In class, we have been very busy in all subjects. Here is an update to keep you informed of what your child has been learning in 4th grade.
· Reading: We are working on reading strategies, “tracking our thinking” when reading, summaries vs. retellings, as well as “actively reading.” DRA testing will begin soon.
· Writing: We are working on pre-writing, story mapping, author’s purpose, genre, questioning strategies, and writer’s audience. We have created a topics list of ideas that we are interested in and will begin creating pieces of writing using our feelings and past experiences.
· Math: We have been working on place value, charts, patterns, problem solving, math facts, number lines, odd/even numbers, comparing and ordering numbers and rounding.
· Social Studies: We will begin learning about our great state of Texas with a focus on the four main regions. We will study resources, animals, landmarks, major cities and rivers.
· Science: We have been working on the Scientific Investigating and Reasoning Skills. WE are currently studying the unit on Matter and Energy. Science Matters!!
September 17th: 4th Grade Curriculum Night
September 19: 1st nine weeks progress reports go home
September 22: Author visit and book fair begins
September 24: Individual Picture Day
September 24: Book Fair Family Night
September 25: Donuts with Dads
Thank you for all of your support. We are looking forward to a fun and exciting year!
The Fourth Grade Teachers