Monday, September 15, 2014
We have had a great start to the new school year! In class, we have been very busy in all subjects. Here is an update to keep you informed of what your child has been learning in 4th grade.
· Reading: We are working on reading strategies, “tracking our thinking” when reading, summaries vs. retellings, as well as “actively reading.” DRA testing will begin soon.
· Writing: We are working on pre-writing, story mapping, author’s purpose, genre, questioning strategies, and writer’s audience. We have created a topics list of ideas that we are interested in and will begin creating pieces of writing using our feelings and past experiences.
· Math: We have been working on place value, charts, patterns, problem solving, math facts, number lines, odd/even numbers, comparing and ordering numbers and rounding.
· Social Studies: We will begin learning about our great state of Texas with a focus on the four main regions. We will study resources, animals, landmarks, major cities and rivers.
· Science: We have been working on the Scientific Investigating and Reasoning Skills. WE are currently studying the unit on Matter and Energy. Science Matters!!
September 17th: 4th Grade Curriculum Night
September 19: 1st nine weeks progress reports go home
September 22: Author visit and book fair begins
September 24: Individual Picture Day
September 24: Book Fair Family Night
September 25: Donuts with Dads
Thank you for all of your support. We are looking forward to a fun and exciting year!
The Fourth Grade Teachers