- Writing: Students will focus on reading and critiquing narratives and essays using class-generated criteria charts.
Thursday, May 1, 2014
We hope that this finds you all well! In class, we will be working on the following:
· Reading: We will conduct DRA testing to assess your child’s end-of-year independent reading level. For the remainder of the school year, we will continue to read novels and Time for Kids to strengthen the students’ comprehension skills.
· Math: We recently completed a review of all of the concepts that were introduced throughout 4th grade to prepare for the STAAR test. We will continue to review over concepts from the school year. A preview of some fifth grade math skills will be taught as well! We will complete a few fun projects that will have the students use different math skills.
· Science: Our fourth grade scientists just finished learning about mixtures and solutions- how to separate them and how scientists incorporate this information every day in their labs. We also learned about the four major forms of energy. Ask your child about the center of gravity games we played! They were real balancing acts! Until the end of the year, we will concentrate on electricity: how it travels and makes different types of circuits. Finally, we will investigate ecosystems and their importance in our ever-changing world! GO GREEN!
· Social Studies: We will learn about the Republic of Texas and Texas becoming a state. We will evaluate the reasons why some Texans wanted to remain an independent nation versus Texans who wanted to join the U.S. Students will be responsible for learning the locations of 40 of the 50 United States and labeling them on a map.
· May 3: International Festival
· May 20: 4th grade Portfolio Share- 8:15-9:00 am
· May 23: Field Day
· May 26: Memorial Day- school holiday
· June 5: Last day of school-early dismissal